There has been a village in Kingston Bagpuize for more than a 1,000 years and the Manor of Kingston was first mentioned in the Saxon Charters.
After the Norman Conquest, William the Conqueror divided the Manor, giving half to Henry de Ferrers, who leased it to Ralf de Bachepuis. The Bachepuis family lived here for 200 years and during that time, the Manor became known as Kingston Bachepuis, anglicised over time to become Kingston Bagpuize as spelt today.
There have been three manor houses.
Nothing remains of the first two, except possible evidence of a moat by the driveway and the vaulted room under the 18th Century Pavilion, which may date from Elizabethan times.
The second, a moated farmhouse, was built by John Latton in 1542 and was still standing when the house was built by another John Latton, no relative to the first builder, soon after the restoration of King Charles II. There is the deed of sale for the house dated 1670 in the house archives.
The house was then remodelled by the Blandy family in 1720 and they lived here until 1917, when the house was then conveyed to Edward Strauss, a Member of Parliament. Threatened with bankruptcy after his commodities company in the Far East failed, the estate was split up and sold at auction in 1936. Lord Ebury bought the house and surrounding parkland only to sell it in 1939 to Miss Marlie Raphael, who was the great aunt of Mrs Grant’s late husband, Francis.